The Summerland Healthcare Auxiliary
President/ Dan Virgint
- The Ladies Hospital Auxiliary was first formed in April 1909.
- With the help of funds raised by the Auxiliary, the first cottage hospital was established in Summerland at Fenner House on April 11th, 1910.
- Early fund raising activities included tag days, catering, making and selling baby clothing and fashion shows.
- In 1959, the first Thrift Shop found its home in the old municipal office and library building.
- Red smocks were first worn by Auxiliary Thrift Shop Volunteers in 1962.
- In 1972, with $58,000 in funds raised, and a mortgage in place, the Thrift Shop moved to its current location on North Victoria Road in Summerland.
- The mortgage was ceremonially burned just two years later in 1974.
- The Ladies Hospital Auxiliary became the Summerland Hospital Auxiliary in 1974 in recognition of the contributions made by its gentlemen volunteers.
- The Auxiliary was named Good Citizen of the Year in 1985.
- The name of the organization changed in 1994 to its current title: Summerland Health Care Auxiliary.
- An extension more than doubling the size of the Thrift Shop was added to the premises in 1999.
- The Auxiliary celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2009.
- The prestigious Mayor’s Community Service Award was presented to the Auxiliary in 2011.
- In 2019, the Auxiliary was the recipient of the ‘Non Profit Organization of the Year’ award as presented at the 81st annual Summerland Business Excellence Awards
Summerland Healthcare Auxiliary runs a Thrift Store and this is our source where we get the money to donate to our hospital and to other organizations in our community.